shaken, not stirred.

Bikes: I've lost count.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1423 Post(s)
Liked 986 Times in 397 Posts
Originally Posted by MicahWedemeyer
Hi,

I've been commuting on my road bike for almost 2 years now, and I'm getting a little tired of the harsh ride. I could switch to something like a hybrid bike, but I'm quite curious about recumbents since they seem very comfortable.

So, in that vein, I have some questions about recumbent commuting:

1) How safe do you feel on city streets? Much of my commute is on-road with light to moderate traffic. Some areas are high-traffic but slow speed (ie. bumper-to-bumper) where I like to weave in and out in order to skip to the front. Is this possible and safe (relatively) on a recumbent?

Also, I'm willing to string up as many flags/flashers as necessary to be visible, but does it really help all that much?

2) What are the advantages/disadvantages for a short vs long wheelbase?

3) Do any recumbents fit on car-mounted bike carriers? Specifically, I've got a Saris Bones 2-bike rack. Are there any recumbents that would fit?

4) How easy is it to lock up a recumbent? I've got a U-lock and plenty of bike rack space, but would I probably need a new lock?

These are just my basic questions, but there is probably stuff I'm forgetting. If you have any advice at all I'd be happy to listen.
I have been commuting by bike for roughly 6 years and just recently got a SWB 'bent. I feel much safer on the 'bent than on my old upright. I can see so much clearer ahead and with the essential rear view mirror can easily see the traffic behind me. I find it is much more comfortable thanks to the mesh hammock type seat on my 'bent.

I have a red flashing light and reflective tape on the tailbox, reflective tape on the cranks and two flashing lights on the front of my 'bent. I also have reflective tape on my helmet and all the lights and reflectors make me fee much safer at night, in bad weather and at dusk.

I haven't yet tried to find a rack that will fit my 'bent and my old U-lock and cable work well with my bike.

If you haven't ridden a 'bent before, I wouldn't commute on one when you first get one. It takes several days to learn how to start, stop and ride a bent properly.

If you are going to commute by 'bent I would recommend mudguards to keep you cleaner in bad weather.