soze
ex-everything.

Bikes: venerable surly crosscheck

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alanbikehouston
I am less than 5'10", and the bikes that fit me best are in the size 57 to size 60 range. So, I doubt the problem is the size of your frame. More likely the problem is your bars are too low.

When someone says they feel "too stretched out", it usually means that their bars are too low. The highest portion of your bars should be about level with the top of the saddle. With a road bike, that puts the drops about level with the highest portion of th top tube, making it comfortable to ride in the drops for extended periods of time.

As you raise the bars, the distance between the saddle and the bars decreases, and you shift weight off of your hands, and back onto your rear. Try riding for a week with the highest portion of your bars level with the top of the saddle. Odds are, you will be well balanced between the saddle and bars, and will not feel stretched out.
Depending on his torso length a 56cm Steamroller prolly is too big for him. Really, the top tube length on the Steamrollers is ****ing ridiculous. I'm 5'9" as well, with a shorter torso, and I feel that my 53cm Steamroller, while in my ballpark of reasonability, is longish for my needs. A Thomson zero setback seatpost and an 80mm stem have made my bullhorns quite comfy though.

I agree that there's a lot more to be played with first before declaring his frame too big to be rideable. Short stem and fiddling with the drops will indeed go a long way. Most people simply don't start with the musculature they need to ride in the drops comfortably.