Old 01-30-08, 07:16 PM
Cosmoline
Biscuit Boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What kind of game and fish do you get there?
Is it true that it's so cold in Alaska that the freezers have heating elements in them?
We have all kinds of f&g. Moose, both bears, caribou & reindeer, blacktail deer, some elk, tons of small game, fur bearers, etc etc. It's Alaska! As far as fish, we have BAR NONE the greatest on the planet and I live 20 feet from a major distribution center and packing house. The cheapest way to go is a meat boat out of Seward or Homer in around early July when the silver and lingcod season overlaps with the Halibut season. This was the take of halibut on a run I did in 2006:

The vacuum packer is mostly for fish. It improves the taste of home-frozen fish GREATLY. With beef it's not such a big deal but it will stop meat in general from getting that nasty freezer burn. The alternative is to smoke and I do a fair amount of that, but again it's most effecient if you can pack and freeze the excess and keep it for later.

We have good veges up here, including some famous world record size ones. Spuds are excellent, and many of the heartier dark green veges. What we lack entirely is FRUIT, apart from some wild berries. The supplies we get in are $$ and tend to be pretty well abused. So no real fruitarian options.