Old 02-13-08, 05:07 PM
sprintcarblue

Bikes: 2015 Rivendell Clementine, 2019 Rivendell Clem Smith jr, 1988 Mikado DeGasep, Custom Marino SSFGMTB, Marinoni Track, In Progres Clive Stuart

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I find this one humourous.

I can be a funny guy! It was being somewhat sarcastic. But I feel people do put too much emphasis on vegetarianism as far as "saving the world". Do it because you don't like the taste, because you feel you don't need it for health reasons or whatever other *educated, non world saving* reason.

There are many problems, on many levels, that face humanity and our environment. The point that was trying to be made, that may have been lost, is the amount of energy, land and water that is takes to raise livestock, compared to produce, intended to go directly to feeding people.

Here is the problem. People honestly must assume livestock is taken care of like a family dog getting special processed food and faucet water daily. Cattle feed most of the year through the natural vegetation and drink from man made stockponds, rivers and streams. They have thousands and thousands of acres of non inhabited grassland. These resources are not being used by people, nor are people even trying to harvest these resources. (besides a local town or two) They sometimes get grain in the winter but is the farmers corn or silage straight out of the field, anyways, it is nothing special. I don't see how much of anything is being wasted. (have you even been to eastern wyoming?!) You also have to realize that before cattle there were thousands of buffalo, antelope and various other creatures that lived off of the land in the same way (beef) cattle do now. We are creating any of the problems, not the animals.

I'm not advocating vegetarianism is for everyone. But I do think the North American diet is extremely unhealthy, and people have to take responsibility for what they eat, moral or ethical issues aside. I really don't think the body was intended to ingest so much processed food, as well as excessive amounts of protein.

I don't disagree with you here. Nothing is more disgusting than all of the processed and chemically treated food that is put out. If I could live off of fresh market meat, I definitely would as a lot of other people would I am sure. The extra price you pay would still be a legitimate cost if you bought proper portions of meat.