View Single Post
Old 05-25-08, 02:27 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked 1,312 Times in 905 Posts
Originally Posted by LEATHERNECK
I was at one time a certified structural steel and pipe welder. My welds would at times be x-rayed in order to pass inspection...not trying to impress you, just letting you know I'm not pulling this stuff out of thin air.

When dealing with joints that require structural integrity, Tig welds are not usually ground down for cosmetic purposes. All hand welders try to achieve the "off-set dime stack" look that you're talking about. If my Tig welds did not come out clean, I'd either toss the metal or break the weld, grind ALL the weld off and start over again. Needless to say, this was a rare occurance after a while. On the other hand, it is not uncommon to see stick welds (arc) grounded down, but there is a reason for that. Stick welds are more prone to leave voids.

You can grind the weld down, but use caution that you don't compromise the structural integrity of the weld. If you do grind any significant amount away, you may lay a new bead over the old weld, again that's not the norm with Tig.
Kind of comparing apples here, but in the nuclear industry, welds have to be "smooth" for decontamination purposes. Imagine a scenario where "contaminated" water drenches some piping. The joints have to be smooth enough that they can easily be wiped down to decontaminate. Porosity and other "roughness" that can "trap" radioactive particles simply isn't allowed. Grinding is very common.
Typically, aluminum isn't used for the reactor parts, but refueling equipment (staging, ladders etc.) can be.
Welds must also be smooth enough to test with dye penetrant for piping systems.