Old 07-14-08, 11:55 AM
MichaelW

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Ive been using a Paramo Cuzco multi-activity jacket for the last 3 or 4 winters. Mine lacks pit-zips but the current version has them. The pockers are high chest, not rear and are well placed for carrying wallet, keys, gloves and a map. The collar is quite high and the cut is excellent with a dropped tail and long arms.
I have nothing but praise for the system and not a single bad thing to say. I'm a former Gortex user and Paramo is just so much more comfortable in the dry or wet. The material is as breathable as any windproof with no membrane to prevent the flow of moisture. It is not strictly waterproof but it handles water sufficiently well for professional outdoor use by mountain rescue teams, climbers etc in UK and on expeditions further north. ("Everest: good training for a Scottish winter").
The material will dry within 1/2hr, it needs reproofing once or twice a year and washing in the machine every month. 10yr old jackets are still in daily use.
The only downside of Paramo is the amount of in-built insulation. It is similar to a thin fleece and there is a max cutoff temp which differes. For me this is at 16C but I feel the cold. It is also bulky to store in a bag compared to some goretex (about the same as winter-weight, lined jacket) but when I have it Im always wearing it.

My jacket is due for some maintenance and after-sales service is really good. They replace zips, tags etc and reproof to original standard.