bikinfool
I have senior moments...

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by europa
You lot had better know what you're talking about because I've rung my lbs and ordered a Topeak Road Morph. Suffering, as I do, under the enlightened Australian bicycle industry, it won't be here until next week at least. The owner of my lbs is a Brit and having worked with both the British and the Australian industries, he's more scathing of the Aussie version than I am ... and I'm generally considered 'harsh'.

When repairing the tube (do you repair tubes or do you have a huge stack of them 'awaiting repair'?), I found two holes. What's more, looking closely, I don't reckon either came from something penetrating the tube - they looked more torn or pinched. Thing is, that tube's just done nearly 600km since the last time I touched it so it's unlikely to be a simple pinch on installation. At that time, I fitted tyre liners and I'm wondering if they aren't in someway associated with the holes, both holes being near the edge of where the tyre liner would be in the tyre. Maybe the tube was just twisted slightly and it's taken this long for the holes to develop, though getting two about a foot apart at the same time is stretching coincidence a bit. There's no sign of damage to the tyre and with the slick surface of the Detonator tyres, it should be easy enough to see cuts (though I know you don't always).

Incidentally, when testing my tube repair, I tried to pump up the tube with that rotten mini pump - it could get the tube (alone, not encased in a tyre) almost up to hot dog fatness but that's it, couldn't even stretch the rubber. Sheesh, no wonder it did nothing on the side of the road.

Richard
I remember seeing reports of problems with the tire liners causing flats rather than preventing them...might be your culprit.