View Single Post
Old 08-06-09, 01:52 PM
billyymc

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by ZippyThePinhead
I have to admit, I'm curious about how everyone fits long rides into their schedule.
Define long

My typical week includes three commutes (MWF) of about 28m round trip, two mountain bike rides (not sure how far) one of which will be with my wife, a few evenings just tooling around the neighborhood with my kids on their bikes, at least one recreational only ride (which tends to be solo, between 30/40 miles), and one or sometimes two destination oriented family rides which range from 10 to 15 miles (stopping to wade in the creek, get ice cream, etc.)

When the kids have soccer practice, my wife and I will put the bikes in the car and take a quick ride instead of sitting there watching practice -- that's what coaches are for!

It helps that my wife likes to ride (but hasn't yet gotten passionate about it), and that the kids are enjoying it too (9 and almost 11). If my master plan goes well in a couple years we'll be doing 25 mile rides together a few times during the week and longer rides on the weekends : ) In between paddling trip. When we're not skiing.