View Single Post
Old 10-25-09, 06:02 PM
Mineblaster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Suck at biking

I started biking after 10 years, so maybe I'm expecting too much, but I absolutely suck. It took me one hour (!!) to do 6 miles today. I walked around 1.5 miles because the hills got too steep. Admittedly, there were hills and my bike is only slightly better than trash (I bought it at a garage sale). It would be nice to blame my speed (or the lack of it) on the crappy bike and the traffic lights, but I doubt they had that much of an effect.

I want to bike because it's an exercise I actually like. I want to improve my cardiovascular fitness and also lose weight (well, go from 25 BF% to around 15%, eventually). But it seems that I suck at biking. Hopefully this is something that I'll improve on in a reasonable timeframe?

Any advice? Should I attempt other methods of exercise and come back to biking after I lost the weight or should I continue biking in the hope that I'll eventually be able to go at 15MPH? My main worry is that it will take a long time to start seeing improvements; I don't want to get depressed and stop. I have no will power to speak of, I'm afraid... :-(