JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395

Well, we finished the Race Across America. We didn't break any record or even place first in our geezer division, but we sure had fun doing it. I won't forget this one for a long while.

What an experience! The only real negative is due to the fact that it is a race, not a tour ... and you can't stop and smell the flowers (and the saloons) along the way.

We rode though dust storms in near the Imperial Dunes in Southern California.
We rode on super crappy pavement and into headwinds near Hope Arizona.
We rode over the Rockies ... unfortunately, most of it during the night.
We rode through La Veta Colorado ... one of the few places we had time to explore and met some truly wonderful folks.
We rode through the Dust Bowl ... and through one of the most intense thunderstorms I've ever experienced.
We rode through the Ozarks (beautiful), and across the Mississippi, and through the farmlands of the Midwest.
We rode through Hoosier country (REFUND!?! REFUND!?!) and through the beautiful hills of West Virginia.
We rode though farm country and Gettysburg, and finally to Annapolis Maryland to the finish.

I love taking pictures, but on this trip, there wasn't the time or opportunity to take that many or to even chat up many of the people along the way.

The most impressive part about the race? How many of those who attempted and/or finished it did so with some kind of disability or to raise money for a worthy cause. The awards ceremony had me near tears, and no, I am not kidding. We are all VERY fortunate to be able to be healthy enough to do what we do, and would be wise not to forget that.

I'll post up some pix when they roll in. Suffice it to say that the RAAM was a once in the lifetime experience, and I'm grateful I was able to do it.
Well done!