Old 02-12-20, 02:21 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Originally Posted by ryansu
I would advise the following take LOTS of pictures BEFORE you tear it down - how the brakes, drive train and cables are routed and come together especially etc. I also use glad sandwich bags and a sharpie to keep things together when I do a tear down like the entire rear brake assembly including bolts, when you take the head set off put it back together in the correct order and then zip tie it before placing it in the baggie. Have a box or bucket to keep everything together as it comes off the bike,

Pictures will save your a$$ as it has done for me many times , you might think you will remember the correct order but when life gets in the way and its months before you get back to something you will be glad you took pictures.

Have fun, take it slow. and don't be afraid to back up and repeat stuff, screwing up is how most of us learn when you get enough posts -10- throw up some pictures of your starting point, we like pictures .

An 85 Trek 420 I did an overhaul on last fall
Haha, just yesterday I put a hub spacer back on the wrong side, having disassembled it about two weeks ago.