Old 02-12-20, 03:17 PM
Kapurnicus

Bikes: '87 Trek 400D Elance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ryansu
I recommend a complete tear down and that means overhauling all the bearings (wheels, headset and bb) One thing I will say is keep everything even if you plan to upgrade, When you get the bb out and cleaned up take a good look at the cups. if they seem in good shape you can simply put in new bearings and grease, if the cups are pitted then a square taper sealed unit isn't too expensive just be sure to research what size of sealed cartridge BB you need for your crank and bb shell - which on that trek is almost for sure 68 MM wide. The mytenspeeds website referenced above has an excellent section on bottom brackets - removing, overhauling replacing etc. Since you have been riding the bike think about anything aside from the crunchy pedal that has caught your attention, otherwise plan to thoroughly clean and then lube all the working parts checking for wear - broken sprocket teeth on your rear derailleur etc. I assume you will replace the chain and freewheel, bar tape, tires and tubes, brake pads cables and housing etc i.e the consumables.
I like this. While it's apart, I might as well do whatever I can to get back to new.

I'll take your advice on the BB bearings, it seems likely that due to the age and condition, a sealed bearing upgrade wouldn't be a bad idea. I can't imagine that's terribly expensive, but I'll take a look when I get it apart. I'll look up what I need to do for the other bearings. I'd rather them all be new. Not sure what a pedal rebuild entails, but those need to be new (or I need new pedals. Would you keep the originals or go with new ones?)

I will be replacing all of those parts (I was going to keep the chain and freewheel, as they look decent, but I guess they are cheap and might as well start out new), the rest of the things were on the list, especially now that I know I can get that cable out of the chainstay. Do you have a favored website for these things? I use to use nashbar a million years ago for parts and bags. I'm attempting to amazon less, but usually that's where I end up getting things.