View Single Post
Old 07-24-20, 01:53 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
I had some trouble on Tioga pass- didn't think it would be a big deal as it's not that steep,
but it was toward the end of a 70 mile loop (speed wobble on the way down!), cramped a few hundred yards from the pass & had to stop.

On a local ride called "the fearsome five"- 129, 16k- I had a slow leak on the last climb, and struggled to keep going on the last, steep bit.
Almost on the rim, within earshot of those waiting at the top, blinded by sweat in the eyes, and red-lining, I went off the pavement
and had to pump the tire.

The "Terrible Two", is not one climb, but 18k for the day, including some quite steep and hot, is hard.
Right, it is also the distance you have already covered. Looking at the profiles of the passes I want to do next, including Stelvio hopefully this year, I don't think any will be a problem if you just go bottom to top and that is it. However, once you add miles before that, or even do 2 or 3 passes in one ride, I think then you really need to think about pacing yourself and fuelling and it will get tough. Particularly on ones above 2000m altitude.