View Single Post
Old 04-30-19, 07:25 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Well first of all, looking at a single ride does not tell you much, but I will give you the benefit of the doubt that what you mean is that you do this all the time and never pinch flat.
This is correct. My hardtail is the only bike I haven't converted to tubeless yet.

Maybe I have more square edged hits. Maybe I ride faster. Maybe my sidewall or tubes are in fact thinner. Maybe you are a smoother rider.
Could be. I don't know. Strava says my average speed was 7.1 mph. I'm using q-tubes super light and Schwalbe Racing Ralphs.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Q-Super-Light-29-Tube

Just because something works for you, does not make it the norm “generally speaking”. Telling the OP that his pressure is too high without knowing at the very minimum his weight and tire size is truly shooting in the dark..
What I've been trying to say along along is that 25 psi is good starting point that works for most of the general public all the time. But some people try to dissect it too much when all I was doing was making a generalization. Start there than go out and experiment and fine tune. Optimum for 29er tires is between 18 and 28. 30+ is way too much unless you are riding gravel trails or smooth machine built single track with little to no features.

In the end the reality of the situation is that whatever pressure is chosen you are choosing a trade off between rolling resistance and grip.