Old 04-06-21, 08:52 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 1,037 Times in 730 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
The CAADX Tiagra is listed on the Cannondale website as a current model, but they don't list the price. But we are getting into the weeds here. The topic of this thread was the creeping costs of entry. While $1,300 is in some ways entry level for Cyclocross or gravel racing, that is not what I was talking about. I was talking about just getting started with an entry level bike that doesn't suck, and my point is, that used to be $400, maybe $450, that that price is way up.
You missed where I previously wrote that comparing my 1997 raleigh m55 which was 400 new vs my kids' 2019 410.00 cannondales the c-dales are far better from the quality of the suspension, the single wall rim compared to a double wall disc rim, ability of the brakes to stop, shifting quality. Looking at 550.00 treks for their growth spurt, probably they'll ride out the year on what they have, and the trek is way better then the raleigh. Now look at the rate of inflation from 1997 to 2021 and realize that the trek is a bargain in comparison. Your big issue is more to do with wage stagnation then the actual change in the values of the bike.

Originally Posted by wphamilton
Oh no, it was new and the wear and tear is all on me. The bike is scuffed up, but in no way requires any repair. Bar tape, that's it.

Just curious, why attack my beater like that? I'd expect more respectful conduct from a moderator, but maybe I'm just behind the times here.
Possibly because he was worried someone suckered you into buying it like that at 129. Didn't happen often but sometimes we'd refuse to work on a bike due to the costs and we'd see the bike a couple weeks later with a new owner who is frustrated they just bought a "new" bike for 100 and we have to tell them we'd already told the previous owner why it isn't worth working on.
I've got a k-mart/ames/woolworth special in the basement to fix up, the truth is, if I wasn't doing it as a favor to the person it wouldn't be worth it. He bought it for 20.00, tires are dry rotted, brake pads are solid chunks of hard rubber on really cheap old canti's. Bring it to a shop and you're looking at 50.00 for 2 tires, 15.00 for tubes, 65.00 for a tune up, 20.00 for pads putting you at a 150.00 for a 20.00 bike that cost 100.00 30 years ago. Just not worth it. The thing is better then the average wal-mart special today so, being the bargain hunter I am for 60.00 total I've got new tires, tubes, v-brakes and levers arriving friday and will exchange labor for a haircut. His GF is my usual hairdresser which is how I got pulled into this. If it weren't for this connection the rant above about these style bikes going to the shop could have been their shop visit and they wouldn't understand why since they think bikes should still cost 125.00 in 2021.