canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
...generally I catch up but Not this time. My legs had a huge lactic acid burn. Why? Then usually after our turn around he'll accelerate again and I'll catch him again. But this time he dropped me before turn around and once again trying to catch him I had lactic acid build up from hell. So we get to turn around and I decide I'm gonna accelerate (which BTW he usually does after turn around) but same thing again and this time he goes flying by me. With about 4 miles to go I usually drop him then initial stop light then drop him again. But Not this time he poured it on me and serious lactic BURN again. I resigned myself to I'm having a bad day or this kid is really getting good. Later that night after evaluating my self I couldn't help but think it was my Diet...
...I went quickly off my diet that weekend then in and out of it thru this week. Also I didn't train at all. My schedule got a little mixed up and I didn't swim, bike, run, or lift weights. So now the weekend comes and he's ready to ride with me or whip me again. We rode only 20 miles I wasn't scheduled to ride only run so we split the difference and I ran afterwards. Anyways the world was in balance again as I was able to drop him the last 4 miles.
I just can't help but think it was my diet. I never get that kind of burn except early in the season and climbing. I googled it and apparently no evidence of it. So back to the diet I am.
Yeah, it's puzzling how the body reacts to diet and rest. It doesn't always match the expert recommendations.

I know I'm not as strong as I was a couple of years ago, but I've lost weight so my times and average speeds are about the same, occasionally a little better on some climbing segments.

Besides losing weight I've also tried a bunch of supplements. I can't vouch for some -- like DHEA, pregnenolone and ajuga turkest extract for ecdysterone -- but creatine has definitely made a difference. I don't do enough weight training to notice any difference in the short term high intensity efforts attributed to creatine.

But I do notice the difference in the closest equivalent I can do on a bike -- sprints, especially short, steep, punchy climbs. I recover more quickly from that thigh burn.

Creatine causes some water retention and I can see and feel a little puffiness after pre-loading before a big ride. Maybe 2-3 lbs of extra water. Not a bad thing for coping with summer dehydration and it seems to have helped on some 50-60 mile rides this summer. And the extra water reportedly helps with joint and muscle health -- preventing injury and encouraging strength gain after a good workout.

I'm also needing, and trying to get, more rest. I can't do just 3-6 hours of sleep anymore. I took that for granted for decades but it doesn't work now.

And I've changed up my training, from trying to ride 5-6 times a week to 3-4 rides. I'll try to do one higher intensity ride in the tempo/cardio range. But the rest are well below threshold, although I can't resist one or two harder short efforts to try for a new personal best on a favorite segment up to a mile long.

Maybe just a coincidence, but two or three times this past week I logged some of my fastest times on a 20 mile training route that I've ridden hundreds of times.

I'm still not fast even within my 60+ age group, but there are some seriously strong and fast older guys in this area. But occasionally on a good day I can match or beat their times over a short distance, up to 5 miles or so. I just can't hang on to that high effort for more than 30 miles.

And to keep it topical, I still prefer the Ironman over the Trekenstein for those longer group rides. It's more comfortable and not significantly slower with the exception of occasional longish climbs. The Trekenstein is fun and fast over smooth pavement and 20-30 miles rides. But for those 50-60 mile club rides I still prefer the Ironman.