Bike Forums - View Single Post - Man sets up camera to monitor bike lane blocking
Old 03-16-18, 06:46 PM
punkinevil

Bikes: 1978 Schwinn Continental, 1970 Schwinn Paramount P-13, 1977 Schwinn Superior, 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1977 Schwinn LeTour II

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Ninety5rpm View Post

(p) Bicycles.
(1)Bicycle riders to use bicycle lanes. Whenever a usable path or lane for bicycles has been
provided, bicycle riders shall use such path or lane only except under any of the following
situations:
(i) When preparing for a turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
(ii) When reasonably necessary to avoid conditions (including but not limited to, fixed or
moving objects, motor vehicles, bicycles, pedestrians, pushcarts, animals, surface hazards)
that make it unsafe to continue within such bicycle path or lane.
I don't feel like getting into some sort of Jr. High flame war over this. The phrase "reasonably necessary" is keen to very broad interpretation, and the NYPD can be positively giddy about ticketing cyclists (especially towards the end of the month). There are a lot of people who have been ticketed, most of whom don't have the time to fight it in court. This isn't theoretical. This is how it works.

Additionally, I'm not sure why we're arguing about this. I can also walking around the dog crap on the sidewalk in front of my building, but that doesn't mean it's ok for people to let their dogs crap there OR that I shouldn't try to get them to stop. I can go around the cars parked in the bike lane (sometimes 5 along one block) but that doesn't mean I shouldn't try to do something about that bad behavior

The crux of this article was mainly about obstructing bus lanes, which involves the exact same mindset and behavior (generally, the only difference is which side of the street the offenders park on).