Old 06-10-19, 06:33 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Re rain gear, I'm completely in the corner that believes that full rain gear makes all the difference, rain booties that rain pants go over mean your shoes aren't soaked, and a helmet cover means rain isn't pouring down your face and neck.
Sure if it's super hot out it's not a huge deal being wet, but I've ridden in rain and storms tons of times where it's 20c or less , 68f or less, and you get miserably cold fast--and I'm talking summer months, July August.
Different strokes... I always figured 50F and raining was fairly pleasant. It might get a little chilly on the long descents, but I can still work up a sweat on the climbs or even the flats.

I always figured that wind chill protection was the main thing more so than actually keeping dry. I take clothing that is warm when wet and a windproof shell that goes over it. I come from a whitewater kayaking background so being wet in anything above freezing was normal for me in that sport and I carried over some of the clothing strategy where I just expect to be wet.

I sometimes have ridden in sub freezing temps on tour in summer in the mountains but almost never much below 50F with rain. I am not sure at what point I would take a day off for a cold rain, but it hasn't happened yet.