View Single Post
Old 12-28-19, 07:26 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
So, I think I'm done here. Anyone else feel similarly?
Not me. I will not allow motorists to push me off the public roads.

I found being more assertive to be the biggest help in being noticed and receiving far fewer close calls.

Like all cyclists, I too choose my routes and times for comfort and safety, and even to not needlessly hold up other traffic. But there are only so many ways to get somewhere, and my work times are fixed. So once I've done all of the above and I'm out there, I take my space and make no apologies.

The reason this works is because except for an extremely few deranged exceptions, no driver wants to hit a cyclist. So it's up to us to help make sure that doesn't happen. Our behavior goes a long way in this, and is the only thing we have control of.

Hugging the far right edge and hopping for the best just about guarantees close calls and surprises in my experience. Yet this seems to be the safety strategy of many cyclists. Then they quit because "the roads are too dangerous".

Ride large and take charge of your safety, do not leave it in the hands of motorists.