View Single Post
Old 03-08-20, 08:32 AM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
Have you done all the cleaning and polishing you can to the frame? IMO, first step in coming to a decision.
No, haven't done that. If I go for PC, they'll media blast it (which I believe means they'll lock it in a room with a bunch of TVs going, which will melt the old paint off).

I've got some arthritis in the CMC joints of my thumbs so I am trying to not do a lot of the tight gripping motions that rubbing with a rag, brush, etc would mean.

I went to look for something in my tool bag last week and found that a bottle of 3M 'Imperial Hand Glaze' which was in there had cracked open. That's a polishing product I learned about when I owned a nice Audi last decade, the last car I cared enough about to polish and wax. IHG is an extremely fine abrasive, much more so than most polishes, with an oil (?) that fills in micro-scratches; it just made the paint glow. I've seen it called a 'moisturizer' for paint. Anyway, I've got half a bottle of it over many of my tools, and cleaning that mess up is my next big 'wrenching' project. :- (

Last edited by Chicago Al; 03-08-20 at 08:37 AM.
Likes For Chicago Al: