View Single Post
Old 04-05-20, 09:26 PM
booter1234

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart View Post
If this is the case and all else is correct then your cable tension is too high and the lever's ratchet can't fully engage when the der is in the largest cog. Note the "if all else" clause. One easy mistake to make is to miss run the cable past the anchor bolt. If this happens you've changed the intended amount of der movement with each click and after a bunch of shifts the lever's indexing won't match up with that of the der's positioning under the cogs. Check that the cable is properly routed on the correct side of the bolt. Andyt
Hi Andy, I want to make sure I completely understand. You're saying that if I fasten the cable to the anchor bolt improperly, it will mess up the indexing, right? I ran the cable straight down, which runs past the left (inner) side of the anchor bolt. I have a Shimano Sora derailleur (if that helps).

If we run with the idea that the cable tension is too high...This may be a dumb question, but I thought that the barrel adjuster adjusts the cable tension, so if that's true how do I loosen the cable tension without throwing off the indexing?

Last edited by booter1234; 04-05-20 at 09:36 PM.