View Single Post
Old 04-13-20, 09:23 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Agreed. I started mtb in the 90s with 560mm bars. Now I am on 750mm - 780mm bars. For actual trail use, I would never go back.

The “bars catching the trees” issue is way overblown, and I say this as someone who rides in the very kinds of places where people say it would be an issue.

EDIT: Oops! I just responded to a 6 month old thread. Sorry.
I usually use my gravel bike on the local singletrack around here since most of it is river bottom so any elevation is from short hard punches up berms. Its otherwise quite tame and extremely twisty. The gravel bike feels and is faster.
But I go out with my kids and often bring my MTB for those times. I know there will be 3 times on one run where I have to come to a complete stop, wiggle my absurdly wide bars thru 2 trees, then start up again. Its very minor yet very annoying. The fact that all the trees at these 3 points are missing parts of their trunks is testament to a change needing to be made on the trail.
Wide bars are fine, but then some parts of twisting trails needs to adjust.