Old 12-21-20, 01:12 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by zjrog
I was hoping the Advent shifter would work with the SLX, as I will probably move to the Advent system later. I'm limited with the RD at 36t, which I'm running a 12-36 cassette currently. I spend MOST of my time on the middle ring, a 34t, presently, so perhaps a 30t narrow/wide chainring will be the choice later as well.
I think you can run the cassette and derailleur with any Shimano 9-speed mtn shifter.

Also, the derailleur on my wife's bike (9 speed XT) has the capacity for a triple, so a 1X with a big cassette might be perfectly fine. I've ordered the cassette for $35 and I am going to put that on with the existing XT derailleur and shifter, and will see if it works.

Edit: It did not. So I got the Microshift Advent shifter and 9-speed derailleur. They are solid and comparatively inexpensive.

Shipping is slow, so you might not want to wait for the results of my experiment, but that is my plan. If she can live with one ring on the front, then problem is solved. (On her crankset, you can replace the big ring with a bash guard and just remove the little one and the front derailleur.)

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 01-24-21 at 01:42 PM.
Likes For Cyclist0108: