View Single Post
Old 07-22-14, 12:06 PM
gleclaire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Basement69
Hey, it seems like you guys are experts on old Apollos so I thought I would ask you a few questions if you don't mind. I was given a 77 MK VI with all original components. Shimano Dura Ace drive train with Campgnolo Record hubs with aluminum tubular rims. The components are in incredible shape, the chain basically has no wear. I'm a bike mechanic and have been servicing all the moving parts, I rebuilt the free wheel and hubs. BB etc, recovered the seat and put some new tubulars on. It's running well but the paint is faded, there are some scratches and there is a bit of pitting on the chrome stays and fork. I'm wondering if it's worth spending a couple hundred bucks to restore the frame. I'm already in 200$ in for the tires and seat, so
If I can fully restore the bike for under 500$ is it worth it? Should I try to match the original colour or can I change the colour with out losing its value? What would resale be like down the road if I decide to pick up another project? Any insight you have would be much appreciated! Thanks!
PS: I'm not sure how to do it on the forum, but if you would like to see some pictures let me know and I'll figure it out.
I have the 1977 model bike Fred Deeley sold me after the season finished. The dealer cost was $475 and the bike was outfitted with the complete Shimano Dura Ace Black while the Mk 6 sibling the Mk 5 was the same frame in light purple with the SunTour collection. Working at a bike shop at the time I had the Mk 4,5, and 6 from that year. I still have Mk 6 and just rode it this morning.