Old 12-26-20, 10:01 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 2,577 Times in 1,077 Posts
Originally Posted by Tiger Attack
I'd like to dimple or add some clearance on a titanium 2010 Lynskey r430 chainstay.
Most Ti tubing used on bikes is made as aircraft hydraulic tubing, with properties optimized for that usage which involves a lot of bending. So bending Ti tubes is seldom a problem (with the right bender), but the usual ways of adding more clearance on an existing frame usually involve indenting, which will make most Ti tubing split (crack) before it takes much of a "set".

Some Ti builders however spec'ed annealed (softer/weaker) tubing for their chainstays, specifically so they can be manipulated more, for tire and/or chainring clearance. If your Lynskey has annealed chainstays then you may be able to get more clearance by indenting, but it's pretty risky.

Another way, and very safe from what I understand, you can have Ti Cycles (near Portland OR) do their "potato chip" mod where the clearance is cut out of the chainstays, and a new heavier piece of Ti is welded in place. Probably weighs an ounce or two more than the material they remove, but the result should be as strong, probably stronger than original. Not cheap at $500; probably only worth it for a high-value, rare or custom frame. Disclaimer, I used to work for Ti Cycles, 20 years ago before he did that style of retrofit, so I have no direct experience with it. No current connection with the shop or owner Dave Levy, though we chat every year or three, like at Seattle Bike Expo. I think he does amazingly good work.

Mark B in Seattle
Likes For bulgie: