View Single Post
Old 07-17-18, 02:57 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by GUber
DK Ramblings......I rode my Cutthroat in the DK50 this year. Hope to do the 100 next year. I used Gravelking SK 43's tubeless 40psi rear - 32 psi front. It did fine. Top 20 finish! Keep in mind that there are much faster riders in the DK200 & DK100 and those courses are gnarlier. I saw a lot of Cutthroats at the DK - several had Lauf forks. Maxxis Pace 2.1 appeared to be a pretty popular tire choice for Cutthroat riders.
For the DK200 - the FAT bike winner (Roy Kranz) finished in the top 100 overall - for the 3rd year in a row!! So a guy on 4" tires was faster than hundreds of riders on smaller tires, A popular saying in Kansas: "Comfort = Speed"
Also - the Flint Hills gravel of the DK is generally much smoother/faster than the gravel in my area, but many low spots were pretty chunky.
The DK50 followed the same route as the 100 & 200 for the first 22 miles or so and I learned to see the rough spots ahead by the dozens of water bottles strewn all over the road!! DK Tip - use good/tight water bottle cages!
Welcome to the forum, good first post.