View Single Post
Old 05-08-19, 07:54 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
I worked with Denver on the first group ride, shortly after joining here. Never had the opportunity to make any of the group rides due to work and financial matters.

When I had the pleasure of riding with you, and Jim and Sharon Muller, it was while visiting our son and daughter-in-law, up in New Hampshire.

Unfortunately, I will not fly with a bicycle any longer, American Airlines screwed me over twice on that trip and I won't get taken again by an airline, ever. I'll drive to where ever a ride is held, within physical limitations, gladly.

The ride in itself was fantastic, as were all the folks participating. Even though your ride was cut short, it was nice talking with you before the start. Hopefully, one will be put together shortly.

Bill
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the reply. Regarding that Metro Boston Ride we did, I don’t consider it a Fifty-Plus Annual Ride in this sense. Nonetheless as I posted earlier, you and any BF subscriber are welcome to contact me if you come to Boston.

Not to consider myself as the sole proprietor, but a devotee, I once posted this definition when the proposals were being circulated of one in the past, and I was taken to task for it:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I'd like to propose this definition of an Annual Ride: One that is announced on the 50-Plus Forum for all subscribers, with sufficient lead time to make preparations to attend. No minimum number of riders, other than at least one besides the “host.”

After the ride there should be some narratives and photos of the event (“without pictures, it didn't happen”). Then the ride should be recorded in the Chronicles. It would be helpful to keep all the suggestions for a Ride on one single thread.
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
The idea that there is an official or sanctioned Bikeforum event is rubbish.

As a former moderator I discussed the legal and organization linkage between Bikeforums and any events announced within these forums with Tom Stormcrowe. He explained to me that there is none.

I've attended events announced on Bikeforums and they can be very successful. The Dairyland Dare event that has become a phenomenon is a good example. See : http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...in-august.html

I've also met up with Bikeforum members on other occasions.

These events are unregulated and open. If they become successful, it's the result of like minded people just enjoying the hobby and a willingness to gather.
… Indeed, to the best of my knowledge there never was any official sanction of a ”…Annual Fifty-Plus Forum Ride..” It’s always been my understanding that those rides were informally organized by any given subscriber to Bike Forums usually as the name states by a subscriber to 50+.

I’ve always considered it an engaging tradition of this normally convivial Forum, not unlike the annual Pie Ride, but more formally organized.

I first heard the term, “…Annual Fifty-Plus Ride” when I attended the Second Ride in Watkins Glen, NY in 2010. In fact, the titles and “hosts” of the specific threads proposing the Annual Rides, and post counts have been:

Apparently DF thought this indeed would be an onging event.

Official in the sense of definitive, not sanctioned.

Anyways, I “hear” you about flying.
...By choice I haven’t flown since 1988, and fortunately I can pleasantly live my life within 1,000 miles of Boston, by car, train and bike [or more down the East Coast to Florida].

Airline travel seem so harassing that I don’t miss it, and the other modalities allow me to transport more, including the assembled bike [in car], to make the trip more enjoyable, and more at my convenience.
...In any case, though,

Regarding travel, In retirement, I could extend my perimeter.
From my participation in those previous Fifty-Plus Rides, I have driven mostly up to about 400 miles one-way, and about 800 miles twice to the Rides in Michigan to also visit my family there.
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
@Artmo, that is like a 50+ Forum, Hall of Fame in that picture. I remember seeing it back in the day. Thanks for sharing that with us here.

"The Man, The Myth, BillyDon!" seeing that picture of Billydon is poignant...He and Stapfam kept me going and were always great friends.

Bill
Finally speaking of @billydonn, I also regularly read his posts, especially about his winter training venue, and hoped I could meet him:
Originally Posted by billydonn
I'm still here... and expecting to come to AA [Ann Arbor].
...One disappointment was that Billydonn couldn’t make it from Nebraska; he seemed to really want to visit Ann Arbor, and @Road Fan and I wanted to show it off.

I was going to then take the prize for distance traveled, 750 miles from Boston, but yielded to Irwin who rode his bike with camping gear 120 miles on Thursday. ...
50+ the way that it used to be

I think this Forum started well before I joined in 2008, maybe 2005?...

What has captivated me most about Fifty-Plus beside the general milieu are (were) the Annual rides begun in 2010 up though last year. I have ridden in five of them, and have compiled the personal narratives of all the Rides on the thread, "A Chronicle of the 50+ Annual Rides".

I myself think this so-called "way it used to be" ended with the Fourth Annual Ride in Tennessee. BTW, billydonn was on that one.
...It turns out that we have a family wedding in Florida the week before the Natchez Trace ride.

The possibility of a round-trip circuit from Boston to Florida to Tennessee and back to Boston certainly appeals to my wanderlust.
...Unless I win the lottery soon [and quit my job], it looks like I won’t make the Natchez Trace Ride...

PS: I consider myself just a kid, reading about that first Fifty-Plus Annual Ride, etc as described by you, @Artmo, and @gobicyling.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-08-19 at 09:19 AM. Reason: added PS