View Single Post
Old 03-21-19, 09:46 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Oh no...not against an ordinance. Anything but that.

In my situation, I don't care if it's against an ordinance. I'm not going to risk life and limb crossing a highway twice and riding on a shoulderless highway at 20% of the traffic speed when I don't have to. Now I wouldn't create danger for other people to protect myself. That's a major AH move. But I'm an adult. I've looked at the situation. This is the safest course of action for everyone involved.

Someone on the other side of the road who never really looked at it from my perspective would just see someone 'breaking an ordinance' and be all huffy about it. But it's worth the time to look at the whole thing through the other rider's perspective. Where he approaches from, why he's on that side, how far he's riding, etc. You might find a lot more common ground on a desire to be safe than you think.

It sounds a little bit like you just can't stand the idea that you feel compelled to follow a rule while someone else doesn't. I get it. Every time I see a see a car run a red light I wish I was a cop who could race up and ticket them because it cheeses me off. But this situation isn't that. This situation seems more like you are labeling it a dangerous situation when it's really not to give yourself justification to complain about it. I mean the confusing cars thing is a real reach. I drive a car. I see this all the time and it's not even a little bit confusing.

Ultimately either confront the guy in real life or don't. Complaining about it online does nothing.