gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,802 Times in 2,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Hudson308
I don't choose to disagree with you lightly, Gugie. You're a world-class craftsman in my book, and you're one of the few guys who are actually doing this stuff.

If you're doing a restoration on a premium or historically significant frame (like a Paramount), then by all means have a frame builder fill the rolled remains of the dent with silver or brass. It's the best way to fill a dent in bike frame tubing, period. That's what I did with my '29 Cyrus-Great Western.

However if you're working on a budget to get a decent classic frame presentable again, you can indeed use JB Weld under powdercoat (or paint). It holds a static charge like metal, and holds up just fine to the 400 deg. F used for most powdercoating.
I've done a couple of frames this way with very nice results. More importantly, my powdercoat guy has done dozens. He's also filled sizeable dents in motorcycle tanks this way as well. I don't know what type of epoxies Groody Bros. has had trouble with, but I haven't seen any.
That's pretty wise counsel. It's not a whole lot more work for me to fill using silver or brass, whereas just about anyone can mix up some JB Weld and apply it. I too have filled several frame dents with JB Weld with no issues, so for most people and most frames, have at it. The worst thing that can happen is some irregularities at the site of the dent.