View Single Post
Old 01-26-19, 10:37 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
Welcome, I am 66 years old and just in this past year I decided to challenge myself and start doing the work/maintenance on my own bikes. I bought a set of mid-level tools and have added a few others as I have discovered that they are needed. I am a mechanically challenged, pretty impatient person. I have made some mistakes, more like many, and I have also learned quite a bit. Bike Forum members have been extremely helpful, generous, and honest about questions/needs that I have posted. When I complete a task of maintenance, changing a set up or switching out a component, I really get a feeling of accomplishment and my confidence level continues to increase. I still have a long way to go in the patience versus frustration area. At times I have to just walk away and leave things alone for a short while, go back later, maybe the next day, and have another look. One issue I continue to have is staying organized in my bike work area. Hopefully, that will get better with knowledge and time. If you have a bike related issue, the Bike Forums is a great place to get some advice and insight. Starting now at the age of 18, this whole bicycle thing can become a gratifying, self confidence building lifetime hobby.