View Single Post
Old 04-29-19, 12:59 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 331 Posts
A variation on "retro-grouch", Duragrouch means I favor parts and designs that are... wait for it... DURABLE. Wheels with lots of spokes, 3X or more lacing, NOT radial, double wall and double-socketed rims, standard (non-proprietary) designs with good interchangeability like square-taper bottom brackets (i.e., TIME-durable, you can easily find replacement parts decades after production), serviceability (replaceable bushings/bearings/races), well designed racks, seats that are comfortable and last decades with proper care, durable frames with lifetime warranties.

I'm not against innovation; The new splined bottom brackets are an improvement in design and allow a lighter (hollow) spindle, I just wish the manufacturers had agreed upon a standard so the crank from one will fit the BB spindle on another.

Disc brakes are nice, but I don't want to spend 5X the cost for replacement pads as rim pads, unless they last at least 2-3X as long.

Lights are currently a win/win; Vast improvement in performance and prices continue to drop. You can now get a pretty bright light, over 500 lumens, for $30 for known USA brand and locally bought, to $17 online for near 1000 lumens, big battery, made in China. And LEDs are vastly more durable than old filament bulbs, and brighter, and 1/10 the power consumption.