Old 06-10-19, 08:28 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3388 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 42 Posts
Any other long distance train travel fans?

I just started traveling by train a few years ago and I absolutely love it. I wish I had started years ago though time back then was a factor. Still is so I split things up. Fly out to the vacation spot then take the train on the way back. Makes a great way to unwind on the way back.

There are a couple of problems. First it is the time it takes to get there. But more important the delays. You very will could arrive a whole day late. So on the front end (say for a tour) you would want to pad a day at the town where you intend to start your tour. Then just spend an extra day in town for when the train arrives on time.

On the backend a late train is a bit easier to deal with. Just be sure to have an extra day off work.

Its not for everyone. There can be a lot of boredom. After all how many wheat can you look at in a day? But for me I can get enjoyment out of the fields, watching the various colors and patterns and trying to imagine how far the farmer needs to come to tend the fields Then of course there are always books and movies, talking to your fellow. passengers. If you are talented maybe bring an instrument along and play for them.

I you decide to go, be sure to get at least a roomette. I have been suck in coach twice overnight. Once by choice and once I was forced to take a different train ans lost my room on that train. A room makes all the difference in the world.

So any fans? Or anyone been thinking about doing it?

I will be coming back from a trip on the train in a few weeks. I can't wait. Next year might be Spokane and I have been trying to figure out how to make that work do to the unholy time the train leaves the station.