Old 08-02-19, 04:40 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 53 Posts
Tell me why I shouldn't be scared of dying on the road ...
Originally Posted by einstruzende View Post
I was a pretty serious cyclist from 2003 through 2010, and ended up switching to running for years. Trying to go back to cycling, but I find I am now convinced I'm going to be hit by a car and killed.

I know, statistics probably say better chance of getting hit by lightning or something, but it's always there, and it is almost paralyzing my motivation.

Anyone go through this?...
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
Here's something to consider about statistics. Motorcycles, statistics say, are very dangerous. You are (iirc) 7 times more likely to be killed in a crash if you are riding a motorcycle rather than driving a car.

But if you dig into the statistics on motorcycle crashes, you will find that a very large percentage involve alcohol and a very large percentage happen on Friday and Saturday night... and reckless driving is also usually a factor, and single vehicle crashes (ie riding off the road) are usually unreported unless an ambulance has to come.

If you set off into traffic on Tuesday morning on your Honda 250, you are still 7x more likely to get killed if you get into a crash, but your chances of that happening are really slim. If you are taking your liter crotch rocket from the second bar to the third, well...

So don't ride your bicycle on un-remodeled arteries at rush hour.

And if you are out at 1pm on a residential street on a Sunday and you can't stop thinking about getting killed, well...
Originally Posted by Brocephus View Post
If you're afraid of being killed riding a bike on the road:
A- Don't ride on the road.
B- Don't ride a bike.
C- Or heed the good info and advice given above, put on your big-boy pants, and get over it.
I think them's yer options.
FWIW, I frequently post about my safety mindset, especially after being hit by a car (six weeks in acute care and rehab hospitals, three months off work, five months off the bike).
Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
In all fairness, I don't think there's anyone who's been riding for a long time, who hasn't at some time (or many times) ridden in that zone where the only thing separating us from disaster is favorable alignment of the stars. (Note the "us" rather than "him")

We all take chances and make mistakes, but fortunately life is"organized" with plenty of forgiveness. In my experience the difference between disaster and "whew, that was close" is millimeters and microseconds, and not anything we can take credit for.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
I try to keep safe with certain aphorisms in my head that come to mind to alert me when I encounter a situation where unseen dangers may lurk, such as “Like a weapon, assume every stopped car is loaded, with an occupant ready to exit from either side.” or“Don’t ride over an area (such as puddles or leaves) when you can’t see the road surface"

I was hit from behind by a “distracted” (? inebriated) hit and run driver on an otherwise seemingly safe and peaceful route. By good fortune, I’m alive and relatively unimpaired.

Over the past few months I have come to realize that my safety aphorisms (link), collected over the years by personal or vicarious experience, are my way of actively aligning the stars in my favor, to anticipate those unseen and otherwise unanticipated dangers.

FWIW, for my own information at least, my other aphorisms beside those above [see the link: Total of nine (9), to include:

• #9 Jim’s Law of the Road: “No matter how well-paved and lightly traveled the Road, a vehicle is likely to pass on the left as you encounter an obstacle on the right.”…my argument to wear a rearview mirror
    Originally Posted by Metieval View Post
    ...Use a mirror, practice defensive driving riding.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-02-19 at 06:12 AM. Reason: added quote by Metieval