Old 08-02-19, 07:35 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,391 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by Baboo
I ride with a couple of guys that have this fear, if they do happen to have to get on a street they are a danger to themselves and others with their unpredictability. I don’t see them ever getting over this as their only change in their attitude has been for the worse as they age.
The thing I despise most about their fear is they are perfectly willing to try and foist it on anyone that will listen. Both of them are what I call late in life cyclists, as they haven’t cycled for a long time and don’t really know much about the cycling world, except you transport your bike to a trailhead then ride.
Sorry about the rant but it’s a sore subject with me.
Everyone from my work that I periodically ride with has this fear/concern. They all started riding a lot as adults too. Not sure if that has anything to do with the fear/concern.
At the same time, my relatively small metro has hundreds of miles of paved trail and so there isnt much incentive for those who are afraid of riding in the road to get over the fear by riding in the road. The trails are well maintained and quiet(traffic)- there just isnt a reason to start road riding now for most.
One guy who is obsessed with cycling and really got into it in the last year has asked me to road ride with him next week. Ill show him some fun rural paved roads with hills so he can see how challenging and open road cycling can be.