Old 08-08-19, 08:08 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by KittyBikes
Hmm. I will have to think about this topic and maybe I will go back to the bike store to see what they think, although I bet they will probably try to sell me another bike if they can, haha.

I live in Central Michigan, so we get a fair amount of snow, the majority of it from January-March. They're not as great about plowing as they should be here, so yes, sometimes the snow is loose and not packed down, and it's icy. I do have an indoor stationary bike for when it's an absolute no-go, but I'd like to get out there as much as I can.

I have to ask what size were you thinking of?

I'm pretty sure a 4" tire will not fit, even it there is clearance on the fork and frame, the brakes will get in the way if you have non-discs.

Also it's most likely the rims are too narrow for a wider tire. For example plus sized tires of 2.8-3.0" shouldn't run less than 30mm width rims. Too narrow and you risk the tire popping off the rim, which is pretty terrible especially on front wheel.

I do a fair amount of winter riding in NJ, though last year was a bit of a bust, and run 3 types of tires on 3 bikes.

1) 5" tires for when there are several inches of unpacked snow, these are on a dedicated fat bike

2) 3" round studded tires on a 29+ full hardtail bike, great for trail riding, but studs are noisy on the roads and down right sketchy on rock faces

3) 2.1" Nokians for the clear ice days, These are on a regular 29r hardtail

IMO all three are probably an overkill for your needs. Just get a bigger and more aggressive tire which can shed snow pack. Michigan winters can be brutal, if you plan to go out in sub-zero weather, I'd consider getting a bike meant for it.