Old 08-08-19, 10:56 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '87 Schwinn Prelude, Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo, '18 Diamondback Syncr

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3274 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
I will guarantee you that my mid-80's MAZA (Not MASI) Prestige TSX frame was heavier than my current Guru Sidero. That counts for something when climbing. Whether it's significant enough to cause a recreational rider to spent a bunch of money is up to you.
Ok, well this is comparing an apple to a pineapple. They share a name to an extent, and yet they are totally different product so comparing them is absurd.

Your TSX frame was very nice for the late 80s and that tubing is still quite good. But it's butting profile is different than the Guru's Spirit tubing.
1st- the Guru has a carbon fork vs a (presumably) quality steel fork for the TSX bike. That alone is about 500g in difference(350 vs 850). Then you have what is pretty much the lightest steel tubing(save stainles) in the Guru compared to quality but not elite TSX tubing. Even then, the butting profiles are basically .1mm different on most tubes. Some are .2 different. That comes out to what- 250g over a frame? So the Guru with a carbon fork is probably 1.6# lighter before components.

So sure, if you compare the Fuso(butting will most likely match/be close to TSX) to an elite level modern steel tube road bike(Spirit or S3 for example), then a pound and a half will be saved versus just slapping on the new components on the old bike. But if even quality tubing like Clumbus Zona or some versions of Reynolds 853 is used on the modern build, you will end up saving ounces. A few hundred grams. That is just so insignificant that for all intents and purposes its correct to say a rider wont be faster.