Old 08-14-19, 08:04 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 175 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9208 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by on the path View Post
It's definitely a factor. Before I shipped my bike I practiced disassembling the bike, packing it into the case, then removing it from the case and reassembling and test riding.
I usually pay people when I ship for tours that require a plane ride. LBS packs it. I ship the bike via bikeflights to a LBS where the tour starts/ends. Done several tours from/to Missoula this decades. I ship to the REI there. (When I toured in the Black Hills in 2015 I used a LBS in Rapid City.) The store re-assembles the bike and has it ready for me when I arrive. The store also holds my bike box and duffel bag that carries my gear on the plane. When the tour is over, I give them back the bike and the shipping label, pick up my bag and have some beers. The bike gets boxed and shipped back home. This year I decided to re-assemble myself back at home. Went pretty smoothly, but it wasn't my first rodeo.

This is what it looked like when it arrived back in town. Removed the rear dropout spacer before I took the photo. Hard to see, but lots of zip ties and other straps were used to immobilize the bike and racks. The small cardboard box held the pedal and skewers. I think $58 for packing was worth it, especially after being tired from being on the road for two weeks. (In 2017 it was only $40).