Old 08-14-19, 08:26 AM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 36 Posts
I travel a bit for work and have rented a few times (only domestically in the states). Mostly with success.

Here are the things I will bring if I know I am renting -

1. Your own Saddle - As others have said. You probably have gone through 4 or 5 trying to find the one that fits you. Why leave it at home and hope the rental saddle is as comfy as your own?

2. Pedals & Shoes - You already have your cleats set up and your shoes are comfy. Easy to pack and pedals can go inside your shoes.

3. Lights - Not a must but some rental companies charge extra for these and they are light and easy to pack. Nice to not to have to worry about.

4. Saddle Bag - I like to have a minimal toolset and spare tube/patch kit with me. Most rental places will give you a patch kit and co2 cartridges but I like having my tools to dial in the bike as needed. Remember - You cannot fly with CO2. Get some from the rental house.

5. Helmet and gloves - I've never packed these but I guess you could if you are particular about fit and comfort.

If you have your saddle, pedals and shoes, almost everything else could be dialed in. I would make sure to take some measurements (Specifically - BB to Saddle and Tip of Saddle to center of hanlebars) and let the bike shop know those before traveling.

If you are just renting for a couple of days to adventure around and no serious riding then most of this is not really necessary. (Although consider bringing a saddle and lights for night riding)

My experiences renting -

1. San Francisco - Practically Free Bike Rentals. These guys are in the warf and a subsidy or Sports Basement. You get your cost of rental as a Gift Certificate to spend at Sports Basement. Not cheap for a week rental (around 140 for 5 days, 180 for 7) but going to buy more cycling gear is always fun.

2. San Diego - The Bike Revolution and Stay Classy bike rentals. Bike Revolution has a full shop full of rental bikes from cruisers to carbon ultegra. They will setup a bike for you and have great support.
Stay Classy was the best deal I have gotten in a rental. It was about 180 for 7 days of a full carbon di2 bike. (This was a free upgrade as he ran out of the bike I initially rented) I dont think Peter has a storefront but will drop off and pick up the bike from anywhere in SanDiego. Solid guy and will setup the bike just how you want it.

Boston - Back Bay Bike shop - Good shop, good support but a little pricey. Community Bike Supply - I dont think these guys had anything but Hybrids and Cruisers for rentals but were great to rent from and not too pricey.

Buying a bike -
San Jose - I was just looking for a daily rider to and from my 2 week project which was about 5 miles from where they put me up and of all the rental places the cheapest rental was over 300$. So I bought a 200$ bike from costco. It fit the bill. After visiting Costco I realized there were some better bike buys in about the 200$ range from other sporting stores in the area. If you are not looking for a high end bike and need a long term rental just to cruise around on sometimes buying is cheaper than renting. I was able to give the bike to a guy that had just had his bike stolen at the end of my stay. So not a wasted purchase. Although returning to Costco did cross my mind

-Sean

Last edited by Wilmingtech; 08-14-19 at 08:32 AM.
Likes For Wilmingtech: