Thread: S&S couplings
View Single Post
Old 08-11-15, 12:23 AM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
In my experience couplers on a touring bike with 700c wheels are a questionable investment. It may be necessary to remove the tire from the rims to fit in a box that meet airline size criteria. Also the racks have to be removed, and packed separately.
This is absolutely true. It is one of the things I dislike about reassembling my bike after travel in its box. It is the main reason I am very careful what tires I ride on. They have to be easy to mount! However, this isn't a showstopper for me. It's mounting two tires on rims, not the end of the world.

If I have to fly with rear racks, I am likely taking more gear than I can pack into a carry-on case, requiring me to take a duffle bag, as well. In these instances, having to pack the racks separately is not a big deal. On my recent tour in Italy, I found a front rack that can be packed in my bike case and was able to get all my (non-metal) gear in my carry-on. So, it is doable. I wrote an article about my experience getting down to and touring with so little weight.

Last edited by raybo; 08-11-15 at 12:32 AM.