Old 06-05-19, 06:45 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Some of us have dumb thoughts along the lines of: 'Now that I got this nice vintage bike with Columbus SLX, I think I should get a similar one built with Columbus SL, just to see how it compares...'

Seriously though, having built my own computer (well, assembled all of the component parts... I wasn't soldering the motherboard or anything), I found it nowhere near as satisfying as building up a bike (again, just assembling components to a frame, no soldering or welding). What is it about computer building that does it for you?

Also, if you get a top-end vintage bike, it probably won't depreciate too much in the short term, if at all.
For me I love tech, it used to be cellphones but to me the cellphones have become stale. It's pretty easy to build a computer quite frankly so I focus only on small form factor ones that are 20L or less in volume while trying to pump the most amount of performance into them. This becomes a huge problem of trying to balance size, performance, heat, noise, and cost. Actually a lot of planning and research goes into every build, which I would imagine building a bike would be like. I am not someone who buys anything on a whim but tend to do a ton of research and try to get the best deal possible. There is a fairly big community for SFF computing and like here we are constantly sharing advice, builds, and even trading/selling parts because again like cycling this is a very expensive hobby.

Someone once told me it's not really the destination that matters but the journey there that sometimes is the most enjoyable and for PC building it's all about the prep and anticipation. A course there is some showmanship displaying our builds kind of like people showing off their bikes, builds, and Strava pics. There is no end to what you can accomplish kind of like cycling where you are constantly reevaluating your goals.

Some guy just posted how his wife and him are going to see a marriage counselor and one of her qualms his constant biking. While my wife doesn't mind my biking since I think it motivates her to go to the gym she isn't as found with my PC building since I tend to lock myself in my "office" tinkering for hours on end. She constantly reminds me if I play with it so much I am going to break it lol