carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
One more thing, Shaner.

If (when?) you start looking at having a custom track frame made:

- Make sure that you go with a builder that actually makes race bikes. Not a builder who makes fixed gear bikes that can be ridden on the track. There is a subtle but significant difference. This is where recommendations will come in handy, like that from @brawlo
- If possible, go and get fit with the builder and sit on his/her fit bike. Don't rely on email. Even if it involves traveling. It's worth it.
- If for some reason you cannot meet with the builder in person, after working with out the geometry, print it out and take it to a local bike fitter and have him/her plug it into their fit bike and you go sit on it. Take your track bars with you. Road bars are different enough to be off by a couple of centimeters.
- Ride it for a seaon. Take note of the good, bad, and ugly. Repeat the process.

Trust me. I've learned all of the above the hard (and very, very expensive) way: https://www.flickr.com/photos/carleton_hall

EDIT:

I know carbon is sexy. Winning is sexier

Nothing will frustrate you more than spending 1, 2, 3, or 4 THOUSAND dollars to have the seatpost slip down on you or the track ends allow the wheel to slip during standing starts or the saddle nose tilt on you while you sit on the rivet in turns 3-4 while you are shoulder to shoulder going 35mph. These all have happened on expensive, sexy bikes that rendered them useless to the pissed-off rider.

Last edited by carleton; 02-06-18 at 07:28 PM.