View Single Post
Old 03-27-19, 02:47 PM
GrolarBear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 308jerry
I bought the Schwalbe Hurricanes, not sure if they have the size you're looking for. Great tread for going down the road. Stable on sand and gravel.. And they measure width wise what they say they are
This tire ended up making my short list, decent price, came at the sizing I wanted, and great reviews...

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
A while ago I bought Schwalbe Kojaks for my tandem. They are okay. You have a ton of options.
LOL, I considered a few tires that had little or no tread... then realized that was just likely my tendency to take things way too far the other way when I decide to change things...

Originally Posted by suncruiser
So, got to check out a set of drifters on another bike at work and measured it for shizangiggles. He has the 26x2 and it measured in at 1.989 with the calipers. Close enough I'd give it true to size. The police out here also use that tire exclusively on their bikes, so I imagine they are pretty durable.
That and the continental town and country seem to be the top 2 tires for police bikes. Both a similar, inverted tread design and I'm guessing that the way they use their bikes they need reliable and go anywhere... kind of what i was looking for so they were both in my short list. I managed to weed them out simply because the Drifter was at the bottom of my size range and a little above what I wanted to spend, and the continental was right there on everything but it appears to have gone through a redesign a few years ago and started getting crappy reviews and it wasn't clear if they'd fixed the problems.

Also worth noting in there, though they are a tad pricey, is the Schwalbe Marathon GT Tour. I'm running it on my Vaya and it's proving to be pretty versatile. As any street style tread, it doesnt do particularly great in slop and mud, but dry/semi wet trails haven't proven much challenge, and they seem to handle better off pavement than the WTB Nano tires that came on the bike. 100% can recommend this tire
Originally Posted by tyrion
Schwalbe Mondial would be faster than your Velociraptors on pavement, but still not exactly a fast tire. I like them because they're very rugged and provide a little bite off road. Expensive but last a lot of miles.
Both these tires are from their Marathon line... looking at them they looked lot like what I was looking for but I found that most of the line was on the $$$, didn't come in my size or out of stock... I literally didn't find one tire that I could get :-/