Old 12-26-17, 10:39 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
I didn't watch the video but 40mm is small now. More popular gravel means more riders of varying abilities as well as riders coming from other backgrounds that want a larger tire. 1x as well as better engineering for clearance for 2x is pushing acceptable sizes right up to 50mm/2.0 tires.

Also, the gravelcyclist guys ride in a ton of mud every year so I can understand why they mentioned it.

Coming from a road background the narrow = light = fast mindset is difficult to overcome.

With about 1800 miles of seat time on real gravel, I'm just starting to become confident, able to think differently. The advantages of wider tires are clear. Weight is not that big of a concern.

The entire experience riding gravel for the past year has been an eye opener and your posts have been great. Christmas Eve I bombed the twisty descent on Gore Lakes road and practiced getting my weight over the tire.

I thought I was going to buy a Cervelo R5 but am so glad I got into gravel. The Niner has been so much fun. Would love for you try it some day, if you think we could adjust it to fit. Let me know.

-Tim-