View Single Post
Old 05-02-18, 05:35 PM
Hippiebrian

Bikes: Raleigh Sojourn, '67 Raleigh Super Course, old Gary Fisher Mamba, and a generic Chinese folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Just a phrase. Maybe "less effective" would have been more accurate. Thing is, running fasted will cause you to recruit your fat store for energy. But, when you run on low burn fuel that limits the intensity at which your run.

In other words, you can run longer -- and even more important -- a lot harder when you're carb fueled than when you are not.

That means, when you push your body into a higher active state, it will result in a much longer-lasting (many hours) fat burning capacity overall.

There are a couple things wrong with that theory. First off, fat burns better than carbs, even as body fuel. Second off, recruiting your body's fat for energy is tht goal to begin with. In other words, you are burning last year's pizza instead of the gels you just consumed. Third off, you are not counting for the increased adrenaline and other metabolic hormones released in the fasted state as well as the extra hgh released, which not only helps preserve muscle mass but helps build it faster.

Personally, I have found that I have much more energy when fasted than after I have consumed carbs and I ride faster and climb harder when fasted. If you are correct, my body is lying to me...