Old 05-03-19, 11:01 AM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenHoliday
Someone please tell me my situation isn't hopeless. For the last year, I have been searching on and off for a drop bar, all-purpose bike for exercise, getting around town, bike path riding, some gravel. I haven't ridden much as an adult, so I like the versatility of a gravel bike because I don't know what type of riding I will be drawn to. I am not interested in group riding, nor am I the type to dwell on top speed, 3-ounce weight savings, etc... I am most interested in stability, durability, and dependability. I plan on keeping this bike for a long time.

Height: 6'6.5".
Weight 255 lbs
Cycling inseam of 37" (I think).
I have broad shoulders and a 7'2'' wingspan (I'm basically an ape).

Other considerations:
I originally set out looking to spend around $1000. I am not willing to go over $2000 all-in. That means custom is probably a no-go.
I intend to trailer a toddler or put a seat on the back at least part of the time.
I would like at least Shimano 105 or SRAM Rival.
Disc brakes are a must... I don't know enough about mechanical vs. hydro to have a preference.
I don't have a problem with a 1x drivetrain

Because of my long reach, I think 61 cm frames are out of the question. As far as I can tell, here are some of my best options (listed with frame size/TT length/stack/reach):

Surly Straggler 62cm 623/628/421 (steel)
Used Niner RLT 9 62cm 605/636/406 (steel w/ carbon fork... have my eye on a used one that way out-specs my needs but is well under $2000)
Canyon Inflite XXL 617/637/428) (aluminum w/ carbon fork)
Canyon Grail XXL 631/644/440 (aluminum w carbon fork)
Used Van Dessel WTF 62cm 620/634/426 (steel)

None of my local shops have anything in store, nor will they order one without a non-refundable deposit, so I have to sort of roll the dice here. I feel like the Surly is my safest bet. It is steel and probably checks all of my boxes but I am very worried about the tiny head tube length. It is only 185 mm (the others are between 205-214). It doesn't seem like there are enough spacers in the world to make up that difference. That seems like it would put me in an awfully aggressive posture for a bike called the Straggler. The Canyons look to be HUGE in the reach department. The thing that scares me about them is the aluminum frame. There seems to be a difference of opinion on this matter and I am only concerned because I am not exactly light. Personal biases aside, is it a bad idea for me to consider aluminum? Finally, I don't know anything about the Van Dessel besides it looks to be big.

I haven't really found any reviews by Clydes close to my size who have ridden the Canyon XXLs. I find it hard to believe that they would offer such a large frame with aluminum as an option if it wasn't up to the task.

That's enough for now. Any input is greatly appreciated.
First -- so familiar with blind shopping large frame bikes for us normal height folks. Huge pain.

So -- I don't have your wingspan (quite -- and that's a first; I'm 6'7 with a 7' wingspan) but I actually find the really long arms have been a HUGE advantage in bike fit. I'm all torso, but I can increase the effective reach on a bike significantly by eliminating a LOT of spacers without actually ending up in an overly aggressive riding position because of the arm length. (For instance, prior to a slight accident in November that broke the bike and me, I was on a 56cm Ridley crossbike without overly compromising the fit)

I suspect that with a toddler, you'll want an actual gravel bike, not a cross bike (Grail vs. Inflite). I'd suggest you go with hydro brakes; my personal experience is that the quality is night and day and it's worth the extra investment, especially since it's a fairly involved upgrade (DAMHIK).

I won't comment on AL vs. Steel; what are the weight limits from the manufacturer? Have you contacted Canyon to ask them about sizing? (They have that sizing tool on the site I assume you've used)