View Single Post
Old 08-10-19, 09:05 PM
abone

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Comp, Nishiki Superbe, Dahon MU P8 folder, Dahon Mariner D8, Xootr Swift

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
The second bike I purchased as young adult was a BRC mountain bike in 1981 or '82. Purchased new at Steveston Bike shop in Richmond B.C., owned and run by hippie brothers, in an old converted church. The building is still there as a charity thrift shop....not sure where the brothers went. It was a great shop. Can't remember what I paid, but I didn't have much money then so couldn't have been expensive. Less than $500? I do recall one of the brothers telling me it was a better buy than more expensive bikes (Apollo and whatever else was around at that time) with better components. They were correct!

Soon after buying it, I was transferred to Northern B.C. and subsequently to other locations in Western Canada. I have no idea how many km's I rode that bike but a lot. It also did double duty holding a carrier on the back for my three kids. Given I always lived on the edge of wilderness, the bike was on trails 90% of the time. Over 25 years of owning the bike I replaced the hand grips (once), added bar ends, brake pads (once), and repacked the hubs and that was it. Bottom bracket was never opened up. The bike was a beast, and a pleasure to ride. No suspension of course. All black and chrome and gorgeous. Damn I can still feel what it rode like.

Sad end to the story....we were getting ready for one of our multiple moves, and by this time I had a collection of bikes, mostly cheapies. My wife was giving some to the local firehall to repair for the needy. Went out into the garage and asked her "where's my mountain bike"...."I gave it to the firemen as we talked about". "Not that $%#%&%#!!! bike!!!" Grrrr, I'd still be riding it.

I've got some old pics around here somewhere...will have to dig them out sometime and get teary eyed.

Good thing she didn't give them my 1978 Nishiki Superbe, bought new when I was 22 and still own.

Ironically now retired we live about a km away from that old bike shop and my wife (same one) donates clothes and other odds and sods there regularly. No bikes though!!

Last edited by abone; 11-30-19 at 01:57 PM.
Likes For abone: