Old 09-13-19, 09:45 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I plan to ride 28 spoke two-cross wheels on a five day bikepacking trip next week - God willing and if I don't hurt myself in the next three days.

Spokes are Sapim Laser with brass nipples.

Gear weight will likely be 30 lb to start, less as I eat my way through the trip. I currently weigh 178 lb.

The route is probably 50% paved, 40% gravel and 10% singletrack/horse trails, 220 miles and 23,000 ft elevation. It isn't much distance for five days but this is my first trip of this length and includes terrain which will surely require pushing the bike. I'm also new to camping so want to leave lots of time for setup, teardown and practicing technique.

The wheels have been used for one night trips and have been ridden in anger on some pretty good gnar (by gravel bike standards) so drama is not expected. Richard at ProWheelBuilder.com built the wheels and serviced them recently. I have great faith that they are well put together.

That said, if the wheels break, they break, and stronger wheels will be built. If they hold up then life is good. Either way it will be epic and I'll report back here when done.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 09-13-19 at 09:52 AM.
Likes For TimothyH: