Old 08-03-19, 02:24 AM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
Mostly good advice here, agree with almost all of it.

My advice, which is hopefully an aggregate of the above, is to find a bike that seems close, then see if the shop will work with you to get it dialled in... it shouldn't take more than a trying a couple of stems to position the bars where you want them.

I also agree with the advice that Rivendell makes very good 'comfort' oriented road bikes, but you certainly pay handsomely for the privilege of owning one.
I would echo this. While test rides are good, the real question will be how you feel after a few weeks of riding. For me as an endurance rider, a test ride would have to be longer than what is generally accepted and changes to the bike are inevitable. On my recently completed Trans Am Bike Race, I rode a Specialized Diverge that I had modified over the last year. Shortened the crank arms, replaced the rear cassette with an 11-40 for the 16-18% grades, played with the aero bar positioning numerous times, raised the handlebars, rotated the handlebars several times, went with a little wider tire than most (32mm) all while putting around 3500 miles on the bike before the race. Initially after I purchased the bike, it was not as comfortable as my go-to bike, a Volagi. But I thought that with the future shock and the ability to fit wider tires, eventually it would be the wiser choice for the TABR. It definitely was, but it took a lot of tweaking to get there.