View Single Post
Old 08-25-19, 09:49 PM
Jaackil

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelzbat
Hello, I'm looking to replace my 20 year old Trek 820 Mountain Track. The bike has served me well over the years. I'm 51 years old, 6'3" and 185 lbs and pretty athletic. I've been using the 820 on paved paths a lot lately and it gives me the itch for an upgrade. I usually try to ride around 10 miles 4-5 times a week for fitness. I don't have a preference for type of brakes, since I won't be using in rain. Mostly flat riding with small hills. Budget probably no more than $750

Bikes I'm looking at:

Cannondale Quick 4 or 5
Giant Escape 1 Disc
Giant Fastroad SL3
Trek FX 3

Thanks in advance
I purchased the Fastroad sl3 disc. I have put about 600 miles on it. I am 57 5’11 210. I just decided to get into cycling. I have a disc problem at l4 l5 which makes other forms of excercise difficult. I generally ride about 50+ miles a week. Riding any where from an hour to 2 hours at a time. I usually ride on paved roads or paved and gravel trails in the Boston metro west area.
I was comparing the FX2 and Fastroad3 before I purchased. Here are the reasons why I went with the Fastroad3. First cost, at the time both were on sale Giant was having their spring sale which brought the price down to $600 The Trek sale at the time only took $50 off. On paper I thought the specs for the Fastroad 3 were a little better. At $600 it was great deal. I liked the looks of the Sl3 better also. When I rode both the SL3 just seemed to fit better.
I have found the 8 x2 to be more than adequate for my riding most of my riding is on flat and small hills with occasional steep grades. I have not had a problem climbing and on the flat and steep downhills I have not been able to out pedal the gears. The shifting is smooth, I am sure it is not road bike smooth but it seems very good. For a hybrid I think it is pretty quick. Granted I am not super fit but I can average over 15 mph on my hour plus rides and over 17 mph on shorter 30 minute rides. I know mph is not a good indicator because of all the variables like terrain, fitness etc but my point is I am getting fitter and still have room to push the bike. As for comfort I don’t have anything to compare it to but even on 2 hour plus rides it is comfortable. I find the saddle surprisingly comfortable. I did change out the grips for Ergons which I like better than the stock ones and they have mini bulls that allow changing hand positions which helps on longer rides. The tubeless tires so far have been great. I check the pressure before every ride and am only adding a little air every couple of weeks. The disc brakes are very good. Although others have noted they are an advantage in the rain I can tell you I have had some close calls with cars and the stopping power of discs is nice to have even when it is not raining.
Overall I am very happy with the SL3.