Old 06-26-20, 02:58 PM
melikebikey35

Bikes: Cervelo R5 disc - Limited, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
I plugged the numbers into BikeGeo too. Fork length was not listed for Cervelo and Offset was not listed for the Orbea. I adjusted those numbers (386 and 52) until the tool gave me almost the exact mfg. listed stack, reach and wheelbase for the R5 and was 1 mm off on the stack/reach for the Terra.

When I did that. the stem reach was 473 and 471 and stack was 586 and 588 - which are essentially rounding errors. So, yeah, your math should be right and the fit should be the same for the two bikes.

Are you sure you have a -6 and -12 stems?
I couldn't find the R5 fork length, either so I left it at 396 that was listed. But I just measured it, and the 386 that you entered is correct. And I'm sure about the stems...I guess it forever be a mystery

Originally Posted by DaveSSS
Why not pick the bike that you think has the best fit, then adjust the other to match it. I still say you can't trust geometry charts. If you're sure that saddle heights and setbacks, from the BB center, are the same, then do whatever is practical to make one bike about the same as the other. Since stems mostly come in 10mm increments and angle changes the horizontal reach, you may not be able to get them the same.

I had a Colnago and LOOK with that problem, I made the reach from the saddle to the bars the same, but one had a little more saddle setback than the other. It wasn't a big deal.
Simply increasing the setback, doesn't work for me, and it just leads to other issues. Between my sizeable leg length discrepancy, and odd proportions, getting my fit dialed in was a very long process, and it's not something that I want to mess with...another 2 months of physical therapy doesn't sound appealing.

I'm not trying to be hard headed about bike set-up, it's just that I know what works for me and what doesn't. An extra 10mm here or there, really screws with me.